3.15.2008

War Requiem

Last night I went to the GR Symphony with my mother. We enjoyed Benjamin Britten's "War Requiem" with over 350 people in the orchestra and huge choir. (Click here to read a review.) It was a very impressive performance even if it is one that probably would not be my first choice. Most of it was in Latin. Knowing the history behind it, especially the history of the poet Owens, made it a moving performance.

The one down part of the performance was my sneeze management. I worked so hard to hold my sneezes back to an appropriate time, and for the most part I was successful!

2 comments:

Dan said...

Hey, I sang in the chorus for a performance of "The War Requiem" once with Wolfgang Sawalisch and the Philadelphia Orchestra! It wasn't my first choice, either. Not even in the top 100.

Tony said...

So, did you have to take Latin classes?

The twist where they sing the story of Abram going to sacrifice Isaac, God providing the "Ram of Pride" to sacrifice and Abram choosing to slay Isaac instead of the ram was an unexpected twist to the story. As a result "we killed half of Europe one-by-one."