6.13.2008

The Last Duel


I had my June book club meeting this morning. We discussed "The Last Duel" by Eric Jager. If you enjoy history, this would be a very enjoyable book to read (and not too long either).

Set in 14th century France, it traces the events of the last court case to be settled by individual combat. It was believe that God would make sure that the innocent party lived and the guilty party died in the duel. I won't give any more than that away in case anyone is interested in reading it. It is well written and very interesting.

2 comments:

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

That sounds good! I always like to read books set in Europe in any time period before the 1900's. Medieval times are a particular favorite. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm currently reading a biography of Kepler, which is more about his faith than his science. The setting is mid to late 1500's - in the midst of the Reformation/Counter Reformation. I'm only about a fourth of the way into it, but it's good so far and looks like it will continue to be. It is titled Kepler's Witch and is centered around the witch trial of his mother.