8.17.2008

How Does Your Garden Grow

Once again we planted a 4X6 raised garden where we practice the "Square Foot Gardening" methods. We are now enjoying the fruits (and vegetables) of our labor! We've been enjoying beans for a couple of weeks now with our pole beans just starting to produce now to go along with our bush beans.

There are two highlights for me so far though. First, we decided to experiment with potatoes this year. We took one potato that had sprouted, cut it into quarters and planted it in a pot. Yesterday we tipped the pot over and this afternoon we enjoyed a harvest of "new potatoes" at dinner. They tasted really good. I'm thinking there will be another pot or two of potatoes next year.

The other highlight is our tomato plants. I don't eat tomatos, so I'm not that excited about what they produce. But following in the footsteps of my father, I'm very proud of how tall my plants are. The picture below should bring back memories of my dad and his tomato plants for those of you who are family. I don't believe I've beaten his record, but it was fun hauling the ladder out to tie them up!


1 comment:

Heidi said...

Yea!! You're back! It's good to get a slice of your life - makes us feel a bit more connected even at a distance.

The tall tomato plants do bring back memories! (I didn't realize you don't like tomatoes. I think Caleb takes after you - LOVES ketchup - hates tomatoes!).